St. Louis Paternity Attorney
Establishing & Contesting Paternity in St. Charles, St. Louis & Chesterfield
A paternity case is a legal action to determine the father of a child. Establishing paternity is a necessary step to allow unmarried parents to gain legal rights to child custody, support, and visitation. A paternity action may be necessary if the child’s father will not voluntarily establish paternity, or the mother will not recognize the father.
If paternity is in question, an experienced attorney can guide you through the necessary steps to establish or contest custody, parenting time, or child support. At Cavanagh & Associates, we help clients with paternity matters in and around St. Louis, St. Charles, Chesterfield, and the surrounding communities. Led by Jack Cavanagh, a St. Louis paternity lawyer with well over 50 years of legal experience, we know how to effectively represent our clients’ interests in these often emotional and challenging cases.
To learn more about paternity and your rights and obligations, call (314) 309-2799 and arrange a consultation with a knowledgeable lawyer.
How Is Paternity Established?
In Missouri, paternity may be established in two ways:
- Paternity can be established by DNA testing, but may not be necessary in all cases.
- Paternity can also be determined by an affidavit, signed by the child’s father, admitting paternity.
What Influence Does Paternity Have on Parental Rights & Responsibilities?
Paternity may influence one’s parental rights and responsibilities in various ways:
- Establishing paternity may grant a father the right to custody or parenting time with his child.
- Establishing paternity may grant a mother the right to pursue child support from the father.
- Challenging paternity may prevent a man from gaining custody or parenting time with a child.
- Challenging paternity may help a man avoid paying support for a child that is not his.
Interested in finding out more about paternity and how it may affect your parental rights and responsibilities? Call a St. Louis paternity attorney at (314) 309-2799 today.
“I would recommend Mr. Cavanagh as well as use him again in the future.”- Former Client
“Truth will always prevail.”- Mr. Callaway
“Great Team! Highly Recommended.”- Donald Salisbury